Thursday, January 29, 2009

Daring Baker Challenge #1 - January 2009


So, I recently joined a club called the Daring Bakers. In this club, I am given different recipes to bake, along with many other adventurous people, and I do my best to create something delicious or at very least something edible from this recipe. This month's challenge is brought to us by Karen of Bake My Day and Zorra of 1x umruehren bitte aka Kochtopf. They have chosen Tuiles from The Chocolate Book by Angélique Schmeink and Nougatine and Chocolate Tuiles from Michel Roux.


Tuiles are cookies that are supposed to be all light and bendable upon removal from the oven. We were asked to try pair them up with a something light and fruity.

My first challenge came pretty close to disaster several times. But it definitely was an adventure.
Some of my problems were as follows...

1. Idea- I hope I get more creative as these challenges go. I could not for the life of me think of anything fun or different as to how I would shape these little buggers. I looked at the pictures some of my other 'Bakers' have posted and they are amazing. I am so happy that this club will get me thinking outside the box.
2. Sifting- I need a better way. I tried my little mesh thingy and I ended up with confectioners' sugar all over my face and counter. Then I used my hand held sifting contraption and I felt as if I was getting a wrist injury from the constant pulling... help
3. Shaping- bending tuiles is not an easy task. Mine kept snapping in half. On the bright side, my husband was thrilled with the reject plate.
4. Pairing- I decided to pair my tuiles up with a custard. This was my first time making custard as well as tuiles. What started as a creamy custard ended up as something resembling a chunky clam chowder. However, my husband said that even with the lumps it was still tasty.
5. My Mom- I finally got a couple cookies in a shapes I thought I could work with and I put them to the side to photograph with my custard later. Unfortunately, my mother came over for a visit and proceeded to eat my favorite models! Who just randomly eats things in a person's kitchen without an invitation????

Luckily, she spared my spiral shaped tuile. It ended up looking like a crepe or cannoli once I put the custard in it. Below are a few pictures of my adventure. I can't wait until the next challenge. See you next month.






7 comments:

  1. So delicate and elegant! Looks delicious too, as I LOVE custard filling. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the Daring Bakers and congrats on your first Challenge.
    Regarding your problems (and I wouldn't call these "problems", but "points on which to improve" [and this is not about semantics; honestly]):

    - ideas: These will come as you move along. Several DB did something spoon-shaped, and I went "Dough!, this is so obvious, why didn't I think of it."

    - sifting: I also didn't sift my sugar. And without putting my life on the line, I would guess that quite a number of DBs out there didn't either.

    - shaping: Yes, the tuiles can a bit uncooperative at times.

    -pairing: This can be a bit of a cloaked dagger. If you got your acompanying dish down pat, everything is fine. If not, well...
    Again, there is very little room for failure,
    but lots of space to try out new things.
    And, one of the main things about DB: have fun.

    As far as your Mom's concerned, you're on your own. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yours look great! i'd totally eat yours! mine, on the other hand, mostly ended up in the trash. be happy that your mother ate them. that means they are good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on your first challenge! Don't feel bad about mishaps, that's totally part of being a Daring Baker. Your finished tuile looks great, and by the way, I didn't sift either!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on your first challenge. And welcome to DB. It is fun.

    ReplyDelete